Have you been struggling with dandruff for a very long time and it just does not seem to go away no matter what shampoo you try?
Dandruff is one of the most common problems everyone faces every now and then. You need to understand few facts about these annoying flakes, which ruin the appearance of your dark colored clothes.
Dandruff is medically referred as Pityraisis capitis. The more severe form of dandruff is when flakes start to appear over the eyebrows, around the nose and ears also, it’s called as seborrheic dermatitis.
If you have dandruff that causes big flakes and just does not respond at any antidandruff shampoos, then you might be suffering from Psoriasis of the scalp. This condition needs to be checked by a good dermatologist who can differentiate and give you appropriate treatment. Psoriasis does not respond to anti-dandruff shampoos.
Dandruff can get aggravated by illness, psychological stress, fatigue, change of season and reduced general health or sometimes it’s just always there. It is known to be caused by a fungus, which produces substances that irritate the skin and hence causes flakiness.
What can you do?
1. Medicated shampoos containing ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, zinc pyrithione, used thrice weekly for at least a month and if necessary, indefinitely. You can try Nizaral, 8X, Arcolane or Triatop shampoos. All these are available only in pharmacy.
2. Remember that dandruff can just be controlled and may never go away completely! You need to treat it regularly first by using medicated shampoos 3 times a week and then maintain the effect by using twice or once a week depending on the severity of your dandruff.
3. Applying oils like coconut/olive/almond oils half hour before washing your hair also helps.
4..The medicated shampoo should be used only for cleansing the scalp. If you long hair then use your regular mild shampoo for cleansing the hair and then apply the medicated shampoo for 2 mins and then rinse it off.
5. Please avoid using regular anti-dandruff shampoos (Head and Shoulder, Clean and Clear etc.) as they are too strong and will lead to hair fall if used for prolong period.
Frizzy hair can make hair appear unruly and difficult to manage. For healthy and shiny hair, try the following recommendations.
1. Hair oil:
Yes, our mothers and grannies have always vouched for hair oils, yet we dismiss them. Time to make use of the old tradition to beat dry hair. Oil your hair 30-60 mins before you shampoo them. You can also apply hot towel on oiled hair for better penetration. Oil nourishes and moisturizes the hair. Try the new Dove hair oil or simply good old fashioned coconut or almond oil.
Apply good quality rinse off conditioner after shampoo is washed off. Take care to apply conditioner only on the hair and not scalp as it will make the scalp sticky. Keep conditioner on hair for a good 2-3 minutes. Conditioner replenishes the hair with the moisture lost due to cleansers in the shampoo.
3. Hair Serum:
If your hair feels dry and frizzy even after conditioner, then you can apply hair serum on towel dried hair. Hair serum is non sticky and will help give a glossy effect to hair.
4. Avoid ironing your hair or using hair dryers on high temperature. These techniques only make your hair more dry and frizzy. Instead, use hair dryer at lower temperature just for about 2 minutes and let the hair dry naturally as far as possible. Us heat protection hair spray before drying or styling your hair.
5. Avoid using hair sprays and hair gels. These products are damaging for your hair. If you use hair colour, then you must follow regular oiling of your hair to keep them moisturized.
The monsoon brings relief from scorching heat and makes weather so pleasant, yet one problem that almost everyone faces is sticky, itchy scalp and dry, frizzy hair. Here is how you can deal with it:
1. Itchy scalp:
Due to excess humidity, the scalp skin, just like your face skin, tends to get sticky.
– Do not oil your hair specially when you step out as this will attract dirt and fungus, leading to dandruff and scalp infections.
– Use a mild shampoo suitable for your hair type. You can shampoo even daily if needed. Gently wash off your scalp in under 2 mins.
– Concentrate on washing the scalp than the hair. The shampoo will run down over your hair and its enough to cleanse your hair.
2. Dry frizzy hair:
Hair tends to absorb water from humid air fast and becomes dry and difficult to manage.
-Apply good quality rinse off conditioner after shampoo is washed off.
-Take care to apply conditioner only on the hair and not scalp as it will make the scalp sticky.
– Keep conditioner on hair for a good 2-3 mins.
– Conditioner replenishes the hair with the moisture lost due to cleansers in the shampoo.
– If your hair feels dry and frizzy even after conditioner, then you can apply hair serum on towel dried hair. Hair serum is non sticky and will help give a glossy effect to hair.
A lot of young men suffer from early hair loss and balding. It’s distressing because balding can make a person look much older than they actually are. Hair treatments if begun early can arrest hair fall and induce new hair growth also. The hair root needs to get stimulated, while it is still active and alive. If the hair root is left unchecked for a long enough time, then it gets miniaturized or goes dead. No treatment done on dead hair root can bring it back to life.
Most common reason for hair fall in men is male pattern baldness, which is due to excess testosterone which gets converted to DHT (di-hydro testosterone). DHT in turn starts to shrink the hair follicles (hair roots) and over a period of time, when the hair follicle has completely shrunk, it becomes dead and will no longer regenerate new hair.
You need to start your treatment while you still have good number of hair and as soon as you notice excess hair fall. Do not wait until you have gone 60-70% bald. By then, it’s most often too late for conventional treatments to work and you will have to then opt for hair transplant. Visit your dermatologist as soon as possible and get treated.
Please be careful when you choose your hair care provider and do not fall prey to tall claims and false advertisements. One need not invest too much money to get their hair fall arrested at an early age.