Pimples or medically known as Acne vulgaris is a common problem faced by everyone at some time or the other. It’s a disorder of excessive activity of the oil glands and overgrowth of bacteria on the face. There are known factors which contribute to pimples formation, most important being
hormonal changes in the body. There are some things that you should and should not do at home to control mild acne.
What you should do?
1. Keep your face clean. Wash your face using a face wash containing salicylic acid at least once a day. You can also use Tea tree containing face wash if your skin is sensitive. It is mandatory to wash your face at night.
2. Include exercise in your daily routine. This helps in clearing up your skin. Sometimes, you may notice increase in your pimples but that is transient so don’t worry.
3. You can apply a gel or cream containing Retinol in it, only on the pimples; be sure to apply only at night and NEVER apply in the DAY time. Retinol can cause irritation so be careful and discontinue using it if you feel discomfort. A dermatologist can help you overcome the irritation in
4. See your dermatologist if your pimples are getting worse and not settled after a month also. If you get a pimple every week, then its better to get expert treatment. You may be in need of oral antibiotics which your doctor can decide for you.
5. Wipe your face with clean towel/napkins or use a fresh tissue paper after you wash your face. Most of the time bacteria resides in towels which further contribute to pimples.
6. Get dandruff treated as it can aggravate pimples.
7. Wash your bed linens once a week.
What you should NOT DO:
1. DO NOT APPLY HOME MADE THINGS! This is the most important thing to keep in mind. Please, for the love of God in who you believe in, do not apply things like toothpaste, ginger, garlic, lemon, pappaya or gram flour! I have seen many patients come to me with severe irritation and superficial burns. Internet is flooded with wrong information and so please do not resort to such practices.
2. Do not pick on your pimples no matter how tempted you are. Picking on your pimples will cause scars (depression) in your skin which is much harder to treat later.
3. Avoid oily food, dairy products, excess sugars and anything that is considered as junk food. Diet plays a very important role in triggering oil glands.
4. Do not wash your face too frequently. Limit to washing 2 or 3 times maximum in a day.
5. Do not lose your confidence if you have severe acne; this condition can be controlled if you seek help from a good dermatologist.